7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 31, 2016 11:38 PM by DAVIDRJ

My first game - Dave vs. the Army of Doom

DAVIDRJ

Hello,

I have worked really hard in completing this game, so I hope you all give it a try and give feedback on what you like and don't like.

Brief description:  Single player, story driven, humor, boss battles, and explosions!

Map Name: Dave vs. the Army of Doom

Map ID# 75BGNQZX

Thanks,

Dave

GhostGuy

Dave,

Just wanted to tell that I have played your map and I really enjoy this one.  Nice job!  The only gripe I have is that when you kill the demons there are no ammo or health pickups except when spawn later but that's my own opinion.  References from 2001: A Space Odyssey, Star Wars, and of course Army of Darkness (Evil Dead) are nice touches!  I hope you are planning to make more.  Thanks.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            DAVIDRJ

I made a few adjustments after the new patch came out.  Had to republish, so new Map ID# YLVTNHH3

• Better lighting when you turn the power on.
            • Demonic voice added
            • Extra Checkpoint
            • Increased ammo respawn
            • Added more music

I am done editing this map and is finally done!  Does anyone have suggestions on how to get people to try or notice my map?  I am now using the #buildlikehell tag.

Pvt_Warbear

I just tried your map. It's pretty good. I liked the story line, and the narration.  It appears that you buffed up the demon health fair amount. It was difficult to kill them, and I was running out of ammo and health frequently.  One problem though, I wasn't able to finish the map. I couldn't find where the timer was. In the room with the large demon, there is a door that was locked that I assume was supposed to open. It never unlocked, so I wasn't able to finish.  It is possible that the map glitched, and the large demon died before it's health reach zero. It seemed like it just disappeared at one point.

DAVIDRJ

Thank you for your feedback.  I designed it so that ammo packs would respawn every 30 seconds in some areas that needed it the most like boss battles and where there are a lot of demons.  The idea was to add a little challenge and make you utilize more than one weapon.  Don't forget you have grenades.  There is hidden armor in the stairway between the security room and maintenance room.  Although I tried to make it challenging, I add a lot of checkpoints, so if you die you get full health and ammo.  I tried adding the weapon wheel yesterday, but it just didn't feel right for this particular map.

For the final boss fight, I know what you are referring to.  I played this about 20 times, and it happened a couple times to me, too.  What happens is that he falls off the ledge and dies, but for some reason it will not signal "on killed" --> open the door.  It is a glitch.  I thought about changing the module, but it just had the right look and feel for what I wanted.  I would play it again, and more than likely it won't happen twice in a row.  Also, I put a lot of special effects with explosions and fire and demon voice over that you missed out on.  I recommend using the plasma rifle stun, then switch to the BFG.  When ammo is low, go for the 2 ammo packs that respawn every 30 seconds.  You will take him down quickly.  After the door opens, you will see the portal and a "point of interest" showing you where the Self Destruct timer is located.

Thanks.

DAVIDRJ

Thanks for the feedback.  I have a great idea for the sequel, but only if I get enough people that play and like my map.  There are so many maps out there, is hard to get noticed.

Pvt_Warbear

I recommend using the plasma rifle stun, then switch to the BFG.  When ammo is low, go for the 2 ammo packs that respawn every 30 seconds.  You will take him down quickly.  After the door opens, you will see the portal and a "point of interest" showing you where the Self Destruct timer is located.

I wasn't able to figure out how to get access to the plasma rifle, BFG, etc in that room with the energy barriers. I almost had the baron killed with the shotgun, machine gun and grenades.  I used the respawning ammo to keep going.

DAVIDRJ

There is a room in the Weapons area that requires a Blue Keycard (the same keycard you used to enter the portal area).  Open that room up to gain access to a switch that disables the shields.